Friday, July 29, 2011

July, July! (Round Up)

Friday round up with Laura:

Well, it's been a while. Mea culpa, readers—I've been reading A Dance with Dragons and neglecting important things like the round up, and showering. But other things are going on in the world too, I guess, that are just as important. ...Close to just as important. Bradley Cooper will play Lucifer in Paradise Lost, which should be hot as hell (ba dum chh). Devilishly good? Other puns? That plus this imprint dedicated to zombies are going to keep me busy for a while. Plus I can watch musical Bridget Jones, scored by Lily Allen. Elton John approves! All of these things are sweet like candy from kids' books, which you should not take from babies.

In other news, you can learn from submitting writing, lessons other than "rejection is saddening." And if you learn enough lessons you could get on the Booker longlist with these ladies and gents, or be the next Maurice Sendak. If you're extra lucky you might be a top ten Rainn Wilson pick or make the cash money for your partial manuscript just like Jane Austen.

Well, I'm off to finish A Dance with Dragons. Have an excellent summer weekend, folks... because winter is coming.

8 comments:

  1. Are you just saying "July, July!" or is it a reference to the Decemberists' song?

    ReplyDelete
  2. GrytaJME.....I was just about to ask the same question, in pretty much the exact same manner.

    Love the Decemberists'. I've run a good many miles to that band.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never miss an opportunity to make a Decemberists reference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love every link in the second paragraph, especially the one about learning from rejections. I'm still just starting out so I've only submitted one short story for publication, but got lucky enough to have awesome, personalized (for real!) rejections, so I learned a lot. That is all.

    Also, I am still reading ADWD as well. But just as your post is short, so shall my comment be. Happy July!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a new follower, I am happy to see that you have an affinity for musicals and puns. Or, perhaps I'm just projecting my love for musicals on to you . . . in which case, it's my turn to do a little mea culpa. Regardless, I look forward to reading more.

    sarah
    sarahrcallender.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey I just wanna say I like your blog, and I've never read that dragons book but I bet it's pretty good

    http://www.taylornapolsky.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. celebrity birthdays is an interesting information for our curiosity. Learn more about it on here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very interesting information! Perfect just what I was looking for! My site: Very interesting information! Perfect just what I was looking for! My site:

    ReplyDelete