Friday, April 15, 2011

Rounding Up is Half the Battle

Friday round up with Laura:

Today is a day of learning, friends and foes. Perhaps we should all read up on some Shakespeare first, so we can be smarter for all the learnings we're going to do. Or we can listen to Shakespeare with Audible's half off sale (why yes, I am a sucker for discounts, thank you for noticing). First we're going to learn about the secret history of ads in books from this New York Times link, which I think is a response to Amazon's discounted, ad supported Kindle. As a side note, I'm trying to wean myself off of NYTimes articles, because there is no way I'm paying my money to read something Gawker is just going to digest and spit back up for me later. So apologies in advance to those of you who have, like me, hit your free article limit from home, your phone, and your office, and refuse to pay. As another side note, Amazon: drop the Kindle to $85 and I'll take as many ads as you want to dish out.

Anywho. We can also learn how a book makes history, and also how publishing has changed since 1984 (the answer is "computers and smaller expense accounts"). We can learn even more about Twilight from the Twilight official illustrated guide. Yes, such a thing exists. And it's educational. Also educational is this treatise on why writers should embrace social media, as well as addiction. It turns out that Borders employees are hilarious, you can win a speaking role in the audiobook of Neil Gaiman's American Gods, and puns, like Alf, are back.

In Laura-related news, the most important of news, I found out I've been using nonplussed incorrectly forever, and that my favorite kid's book proves that I am a boyfriend stealer. Shame on you, Little Women, and your loose morals. I should have stuck with Green Eggs and Ham, read by President Obama, or with the bit of Roald Dahl I can read on a cereal box.

We'll, I'm off to take a nap in a giant book. Until next week!

2 comments:

  1. I have read many of the links. I remain nonplussed.

    But seriously, good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The school where I teach began requiring Shakespeare for every grade level (7,8,9) a few years ago. By now, every single kid at our school has at least an overview of the plots of his most famous plays, and, by the time that student has finished all three grades, s/he will have read at least 3 plays with her/his English class.
    The Bard Rocks!!

    Okay, and I SO, SO, SO want that book bed!

    ReplyDelete